Recipe For You: Penne w/ Asparagus, Peas, & Sage
I found this recipe while perusing the Food & Wine cookbook at the tax office one night and it is simply delicious! Especially if you like asparagus, like me 🙂
Penne with Asparagus, Peas, & Sage (Makes 4 Servings)
- 1/2 Pound Penne Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Pound Thick Asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Peas
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Sage, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt & Black Pepper
- bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and asparagus and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant (about 3 minutes). Add the stock and boil over high heat until reduced by half and the asparagus are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add the peas and cream to the skillet and boil over high heat until the sauce has thickened (about 3 minutes). Stir in the penne and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, sage, and cheese. Add salt and pepper. Serve immediately with additional cheese for topping.
This dish is excellent hot straight from the pan or reheated as lunch the next day! You could even add chicken if you want a little more protein. Enjoy!